1. Samuel DURHAM was born about 1750 in Johnston
County, North Carolina.1
He died on 11 Nov 1794 in Johnston County, North Carolina.2 Information provided by Joyce Durham
Samuel Durham was in the 1790 Census
NC JOHNSTON NEWBERN DIST 1790
Series M637 Roll 7 Page 479
Linda Durham Hamilton
DURHAM FAMILY GROUP on FACEBOOK
Does anyone have information on the descendants of Samuel Durham born about 1750
in Johnston County, NC and died November 11, 1794 in Johnston County, NC. His
wife was Mary Parker Durham daughter of Alexander Parker and Margaret Smith.
Mary was born November 22,1754 in Johnston County, NC died after 1805 in either
SC or GA. According to court records in Johnston County she with several of her
children had joined Samuels brother John and family in Washington County,
GA. Children were:
1. Christian Durham born Sept 8, 1774 in Johnston County D. bef 1830 in Bibb
County, AL married Henry Averett Avera (Avery) Oct. 23, 1797 in Johnston County,
2. James Durham born March 3, 1776 in Johnston County, NC D. Jan 1840 in Johnston
County married Druzilla Tomlinson Dec. 20, 1797 in Joh
nston County, NC.
3. Susanna (Sucky, Suky) Durham born Feb 23, 1778 in Johnston County, NC.
4. Nancy Durham born May 22, 1780 in Johnston County, NC D. June 1, 1815 in SC.
Married Robert Harris.
5. Samuel Durham born March 26, 1782 in Johnston County, NC
6. William Durham born Nov. 28, 1784 in Johnston County, NC.
7. Hardy Durham born Sept 8, 1786 in Johnston County, NC D. July 26, 1860 in
Twiggs County, GA married Sabra Lawson.
8. Mary Durham born Aug 29, 1789 in Johnston County NC D. between 1870-1880 in
Decatur County, GA married Stephen Pitts probably in SC.
9. John William Durham born Feb 7, 1791 Johnston County, NC D. December 1870
in Decatur County, GA. Married Penelope Coats. (I descend from John William)
10. Edna Durham born March 6, 1793 in Johnston County, NC. D. between 1870-1880
in Decatur County, GA married James Stafford probably in SC.
This has come after 30 years of researching this family. I still have many gaps
on some of Samuel's children, I have been lucky enough to find the family Bible
of Alexander Parker that was passed on to Mary Parker Durham that had all of
Samuel and Mary's children and their birth date listed and some of their grandchildren.
I also found the Bible of John William and Penelope that listed their children
and birth dates.
It is believed that William and Samuel and the unmarried girls went to Washington
County, Georgia with their Mother. Hardy and John William stayed in North Carolina
with their oldest brother James and continued on with their schooling. Hardy,
John William and several of James's sons went to Georgia later. There are several
William and Samuel Durhams in Georgia, but have not been able to figure out which
ones might be them. They could have also ended up in SC as did some of the younger
girls for several years before moving close to Hardy and John William in Georgia.
Samuel DURHAM and Mary PARKER were married. Mary
PARKER (daughter of Alexander PARKER and Margaret SMITH) was born on 22 Sep
1754 in Johnston County, North Carolina.1,2 She died about 1805 in North Carolina
or Georgia.2 Samuel DURHAM
and Mary PARKER had the following children: